Wednesday, February 28, 2007

This kinda bothers me... but not really

The other day I saw a guy get hit by a car while riding his bicycle. It could have been avoided, but in a way they were both at fault. It was dark, the bicyclist was wearing dark clothing, and he didn't have a light on his bike. The car that hit him was turning right on a red light. I think he did more of a rolling stop, but there were 4 lanes of traffic blocking his view. Technically the car was totally at fault, but the bicyclist should have taken some more precautions... at least I would have if I were riding a bike in south florida.

The thing I feel the worst about is how much it hasn't bothered me. Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for the guy, but it didn't surprise me. People drive like maniacs down here, and pedestrians take a lot of risks. No bicyclists follow traffic laws or take silly precautions such as wearing helmets or bright clothing. You will also never see a person walking use something as trivial as a cross-walk. The "I don't care" attitude is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Unless you live in South Florida, you have no idea how many times I see people do incredibly stupid things.

So when the light turned green for me, I just went on my merry way. Besides, the guy that got hit was able to get up out of the road on his own, and the guy who hit him stopped and made a phone call, which I'm assuming to was 911. And if you had to get hit, this would be that place to do it. We were right in front of Broward General Hospital. As far as being a witness, I wouldn't have been a very good one. I didn't actually see the car hitting the biker, I just looked up in time to see the guy laying in the road and his bicycle in the other lane all crumpled up.

No comments: