Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You gotta be kidding me

I can't say this is a big surprise... she is quite the little go-getter.

Sarah Palin for President? Come on...

I have to admit that I am not registered with any political party. As I see it, I want to vote for the candidate that I feel is best for the job, not the political party. I know that I can't vote in the primaries, and I know if may be silly, but I just like that sense of freedom that being an independent gives me.

Now this past election, the choice wasn't extremely hard. I pretty much knew which way I was going to vote from the beginning, but I stayed true to my philosophy. I sat down, I researched the candidates, and I made my choice. Then they chose the VP candidates, and I went back over and looked at the whole package. Palin? Ye Gads!

I know she is going to spend the next 4-8 years grooming herself, but don't forget her true nature as a leader. And I'm not talking about how much her wardrobe allegedly costs, I'm talking about a documented track record from her performance in the offices that she held.

When she first became Mayor of Wasilla, one of the first things she did was approach the librarian and try to go about banning books. That's censorship based on her christian values. Just remember that there is a separation between religion and government. If you don't want to read the book, then you don't have to pick it up off the shelf. Which is exactly what she did, because when asked if she even read the books in question, she said no and she wasn't going to. When the librarian didn't remove the books, Palin took steps to try and fire the librarian. Luckily for the librarian the community rallied and spoke out against her removal, so her job was spared.

Then when the librarian went to Palin for help, her requests were ignored. What did she want? A renovated and larger library. Her library serves an area roughly the size of West Virginia, and was too small and out of date to fully serve the community. Libraries in smaller rural communities often serve as a very important community center. So instead of listening to the librarian and giving the community of 5,500 people a new library, Palin went ahead with her plans of building an NHL sized hockey rink.

So as she spends the next few years grooming herself, I just want to say:

Dear Republicans,

You can do WAY better. Please find another candidate who will serve the community as a whole, rule on the theory of "the greater good for the greater majority", someone who is compassionate and not vindictive, someone who has a cleaner track-record, and someone who doesn't have a bunch of personal agendas. I know there are a lot of people out there who would be a better candidate. Please find them.

*steps down from soap box*

No comments: