Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What I'm reading

I just finished reading Jane Eyre for the first time. I was very hopeful when I picked up the book, but truthfully I was shocked at how much I liked it. To tell you the truth, I'm not usually too into the classics. I don't really have anything against them, they are just books that don't normally appeal to me.

I think Jane Eyre really caught me up for two main reasons. First of all, it's actually a pretty dark book if you thing about it. It is pretty much anything but happy and cheery. Don't get me wrong, good things happen in it and there are some funny bits, but it has a big morbid underline feel to the entire book. There are also some pretty desolate times for poor Jane. But this leads me to the other reason why I really liked this book. Jane Eyre is such a strong character. She has a pretty miserable existence for the most part, but she never wallows in self-pity. She kind of takes what is handed to her and makes the most of it. She's not afraid to speak her mind, even if there are consequences to her words. She can't help it, it's just totally in her nature. And Bronte stays pretty true to the Jane's character. Where good things do happen occasionally, and things turn out for her in the end, it's not a total 180. It's not suffer, suffer, suffer, and then BAM! Puppies, and rainbows, and flowers, and the world is all right. Jane Eyre suffers and struggles, and eventually things come around, but it's not totally all good. For example, *(warning, spoiler)* she lands her man in the end, but he is blind and disfigured. She's happy to be with the man she loves, but she has to pretty much take care of him.

I think a lot of me liking this book had to do with what is going on in my life right now. I'm not totally miserable and suffering, but these past couple of months have been pretty challenging. Seeing a strong female character is what I needed. And I don't think I could have been in a totally wonderful mood and marvolous time in my life, and enjoyed Such a depressing atmosphere.

Altogether I would say it's a great book, 5 out of 5 stars. It did drag a little bit in some parts, but if it held my interest, and I liked it, AND it's a classic, it deserves full marks.

No comments: