Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I should write children's books

Today I was going through some of the picture books at work and weeding out some of the ones that that are beat up, moldy, or just don't make the cut anymore. I found this little gem hidden amongst the shelves. Here's the first page of "Meatball", by Phyllis Hoffman :)

"My teacher Julia has curly black hair and round wire glasses. Every day she wears big earrings, a baggy blouse, and dungarees. In the morning I’m the first one in school. “Hiya, Meatball!” she says, and gives me a hug. My real name is Marilyn, but she calls me Meatball because she says I’m round and yummy."

I don't think a teacher could get away with saying something like that these days. Then again, she does wear dungarees.

1 comment:

Chad said...

I'm trying to work out if this is the predecessor to Bill Murray's Meatball's...

Manifesto?