Friday, October 19, 2007

suicidal geckos

I don't know if the world of geckos is going through hard times, but I've seen a few geckos doing some really crazy and suicidal things. Wednesday morning I heard Milo meowing at something in my living room and recognized it as his hunting chatter. He had a little house gecko cornered up by the ceiling. As with any creature he might trap up on the ceiling, he thinks if he meows at it and asks nicely it will just come down and let him chew it up. I tried to rescue the gecko, but it managed to hide. I had to go to work, so I let it fend for it's self. When I got home later on in the night, Milo was in my bedroom staring at the same gecko. I didn't know who was more cruel; Milo for terrorizing the little gecko all day, or the gecko for teasing Milo and giving him a sore neck from looking up all day.

Last night I was going outside to the laundry room and a huge house gecko ran right in. Milo noticed him immediately and went into hunt mode. This time I was able to lock Milo into the bathroom while I caught and released the gecko. Happy ending on this one.

Then later on last night I got into my car and went to the gas station. As I got out to pump gas, I saw this little brown gecko clinging on to the roof of my car for dear life. I tried to catch him, but he hid in a little crevice by my windshield wipers. I had to let him go and get on my way. When I got to about 45 mph the little guy decided to run up my windshield and and leap off. I was near the grassy median, so I hope he made it.

1 comment:

vagabond bettie said...

oooooh! I got house lizards too! I love 'em. I never even spray bugspray becuase the geckos and lizards eat bugs and the spray would hurt the little guys. I even have a regular night time visitor out on my back porch. If I sit out on the porch during the day knitting or computering, he'll mosey on over towards me and pounce on me. Then, he gets scared and runs away. I think I'm going to make a lizard post.